1/48 Planet models Dornier 22 Floatplane of Royal Hellenic 12th Navy Sq. 1940

Previous topic - Next topic

zetman19

Hi from Greece.
When you have two little monsters among your feet crowling,shouting crying or loughing all the time,touching everything in an effoert to learn,and in this stage believe me they are learning by puting everything in their mouth or listening to the sound is made by dropping and breaking everything...there are not much you can do,trust me.
Stealing some time of valuable sleep,very late at nights (...and meanwhile waiting a third arrival in a row :o) I present you one of my latest projects.
More models understructure are yet waiting the time to be completed.
This is my resin model:

zetman19

The cutaway "bible" blueprint (here is b/w print with the inner frame stracture marked with dark grey colour):

This is what inner frame the kit gives:

Starting constructing the frame with evergreen plastic rods:

And here producing some resin avionics,using Instant mold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub70AU5RfmI

zetman19

Here you can see the cockpit costruction for now.First with the pilot's appartment:

KuKLiNsKi

Instant mold   
hum...  more info about that?   looks very useful  :D

zetman19

Thank you Airsuba for your reference.Very nice pics that I have already used for detailing it.
KuKLiNsKi you can see the link below the pics which shows excactly how it is used.
Very simple.Just drop a bar in hot water,leave it a couple of minutes to melt,and then press it firmly into the piece you want to mold.The real advantage against silicone rubber,is that it  can be re-used many times.

zetman19

Here you can see the construction of the rear gunner's machine gun.
Note that Royall Hellenic Air Force had ordered a signifficant number of Belgian manufactured Browning FN32 7,62mm cal. in early 40ies to arm all types of aircrafts.So none German aircraft type like Do-22 or Hs-126 were delivered with German made machine guns.

For the construction were used modified parts from British Mk.II Browning 0.303 with the magnifficent Master's alluminium barrel.

Then it was mount it on the D.W.N Hebert type susspension which is made of soldered copper rod.
Need only to be added the almost finished ammo feed tray (could be placed both sides,deppended on the gunner's decission),the "vane" type foresight,which is not glued in possition.It is placed backward properly connected with a rod with the front smaller foresight which is not added yet.
And last,a bag under the main gun body for collecting the empty ammo shels.

Warhawk

Nice job on the small details. Keep up the good work on thix exotic subject!
'Once you get locked into a serious Model Master enamel collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.'

zetman19

Thank you warhawk.
Leaving the gun aside,three pilot's oxygen bottles were made out of plastic rods,copper wrapped round a needle for the tube and the manometer (air presure bezzel) from a punched plastic disc with a printed instrument on it,sealed with a drop of kristal klear to depict glass.

Skyrider

You are really good with details ha ? :) I feel this plane will be great, especialy small details without every model is just really a toy.... But this is not that case ;) So...I like it and keep on good work,
best regards from Belgrade  :pilot

zetman19

Thanks skyrider, but as far as I can see there's no much interest, or just different taste from commons eh? Anyway wip soon.
:pilot

anki

Quote from: zetman19 on 15-02-2013, 00:37:41
Thanks skyrider, but as far as I can see there's no much interest, or just different taste from commons eh? Anyway wip soon.
:pilot

I would not agree. This is very interesting for us in all former Yugoslav countries heaving in mind that Yugoslavia was one of these rare countries flying this machine. In addition the squadron formed in Egypt after flied from ocupation has very interesting combat history of one year intensive flying in RAF until total artrition. We just follow you and help with pictures and advices if necessary . But looking your work you realy know what you are doing. Just continue. If you are reading carefully you will see that your post was read more than 470 times and figure is raising each time you post new pictures. Do you need better proof about interesting article?

zetman19

Thank you Dusan.

Quote from: anki on 15-02-2013, 10:57:10
I would not agree. This is very interesting for us in all former Yugoslav countries heaving in mind that Yugoslavia was one of these rare countries flying this machine. In addition the squadron formed in Egypt after flied from ocupation has very interesting combat history of one year intensive flying in RAF until total artrition. We just follow you and help with pictures and advices if necessary . But looking your work you realy know what you are doing. Just continue. If you are reading carefully you will see that your post was read more than 470 times and figure is raising each time you post new pictures. Do you need better proof about interesting article?

Hi Anki and thank you for your interest.Indeed do-22 saw action in both of our countries with quite interesting history.
I am not looking for any proofs or flattered comments,but only some help by providing - if there is any more material or historical interest about that plane like Airsuba did.
Searching more,I found a pic in the waffen-Arsenal book about Do -24.There are couple of them ready to delivered from dornier factory.
One for Greece and next to it one for Yugoslavia,with number 307.
The pic shows only the Greek one having the letter N but not the number shown.
In the 4th volume of the History of Hellenic Air Force,have many interesting stories about the action of these planes.

zetman19

Here's a small update with all components installed in fusselage and some dry fits before the latter closes.